DevOps still is new enough that certifications are evolving and emerging. In time, the IT industry will make clear what certifications are most necessary and most highly valued, but until then, we have some suggestions for training and certification pathways to help you engineer a successful DevOps career.
IT Certification and Training Pathways
DevOps emerged as a response to the challenges of siloed Dev and IT departments, resulting in failures. Generally, the goal is to solve those issues, tear down those silo walls, and develop a shared sense of responsibility for the health of the end product.
The result of this approach is the merging of Dev and IT/Ops, thus the catchy name, “DevOps.”
CBT Nuggets trainer Shawn Powers hosted a Demystifying DevOps webinar in which he explored some of the finer points of the approach.
This new working model has also been facilitated by the emergence of the cloud and software-defined assets like servers and storage. With all this in mind, we can create a pathway that can help prepare you for a rich career in DevOps.
Formal Certifications to Pursue
- CompTIA Network+ – Learn more about the certification from our Roadmap to Success: CompTIA Network+.
- Microsoft MCSA Windows Server 2012 – Learn more about the certification from our Roadmap to Success: MCSA Windows Server 2012.
- AWS: Technical Essentials
- LPI Linux LPIC-1 and CompTIA Linux+ – Learn more about the certification from our Roadmap to Success: CompTIA Linux+/LPIC-1.
- MCSD Azure Solutions Architect – Learn more about the certification from our Roadmap to Success: MCSD Azure Solutions Architect.
- AWS: Certified Solutions Architect – Associate – Learn more about the certification from our Roadmap to Success: AWS Certified Solutions Architect – Associate.
- Linux LPI LPIC-2 – Learn more about the certification from our Roadmap to Success: Linux LPI LPIC-2.
- AWS: Certified SysOps Administrator – Associate – Learn more about the certification from our Roadmap to Success: AWS Certified SysOps Administrator – Associate.
- Microsoft MCSE: Private Cloud
- Google Cloud Platform Fundamentals*
- Google Compute Engine: Qualified Developer*
*Please note that Google recently revised its certification structure. New Google Cloud training will be available through CBT Nuggets soon!
We recommend that you begin with a basic foundation in networking and server technologies before diving into specific DevOps material. This foundation will help you better understand some of the basic infrastructure on which cloud technologies are built, as well as how DevOps and the cloud can help your organization.
CBT Nuggets trainer Ben Finkel recommends a breadth of training and certifications to keep ahead of the IT industry curve. “The cloud has practically changed the role of a sysadmin overnight,” he said. “Understanding how to work with and incorporate these technologies makes you more flexible and dynamic — just like your systems!”
Trainer Garth Schulte said, “If you’re going after the Microsoft certs, don’t stop at the MCSA level. Continue down the MCSE path and beyond to hone your skills further and pick up some advanced ninja-ry along the way. You can never know too much!”
Critical Training for a Successful DevOps Career
While you may or may not pursue these areas for formal certification (in fact, some of the topics below offer no certs), you should consider these areas critical to your success:
- Chef Fundamentals
- Puppet Fundamentals
- PowerShell 4 Foundations
- Java Essentials
- Python Programming
New DevOps Professionals
So far, most IT pros get into DevOps by accident. But with some careful planning, you can engineer a career in DevOps that you will find fulfilling and gratifying.
Because DevOps blends Dev and IT/operations equally, you need to begin your career with the understanding that you will have to be committed to learning. As Ben Finkel said, “Keep abreast with all of the technology changes that surround your field. For example, Configuration Management with tools like Chef and Puppet are upending the way enterprises work with infrastructure.”
Ben recently discussed how to boost your career with DevOps in a webinar.
It will be essential to your success that you are intentional about constantly learning in DevOps. Because the field is so new, it will continue to grow and evolve at a rapid pace. Keep pace with that change by developing a passion for learning and training. Learn more about building good IT training habits from Keith Barker’s webinar.
Wrapping It Up
DevOps is a fast-paced and ready to welcome IT pros with a passion for learning and the ability to adapt to rapid change. Use the certification and training paths we’ve described here to engineer a rewarding career in DevOps.
Not a CBT Nuggets subscriber? Start your free week now.
CBT Nuggets has everything you need to learn new IT skills and advance your career — unlimited video training and practice exams, virtual labs, validated learning with in-video quizzes, personalized coaching, and access to our exclusive community of professionals.
Learn more about the CBT Nuggets Learning Experience.